Wicked Ones: Free Edition
A downloadable game
⚠️ While this Free Edition is still available on Itch, all of my other titles are only on DTRPG. You can grab this Free Edition there if you'd rather and can only buy the Deluxe Edition (and softcover) there, as well as the Undead Awakening, War for the Overworld, and Toolkit deck supplements.
This is the WO: Free Edition. To download this game 100% free, please download it from the Claim Access link at the bottom of the page! ⬇️⬇️⬇️
WICKED ONES is a Forged in the Dark tabletop RPG about a group of fantasy monsters building a dungeon, launching raids on the surface to gather a hoard, and pursuing your nefarious master plan. Along the way, there's pillaging, rituals, concoctions, contraptions, discoveries deep in the ground, dungeon rooms, traps, creatures, minions, and so much more! You build your dungeon over time throughout the campaign and no two dungeons will ever be alike.
You bask in choosing the greater of two evils as your group strives to accomplish its master plan and terrorize the region around your dungeon. However, your vile deeds lure increasingly greedy and powerful adventurers into your dungeon. Can you stave off the inevitable onslaught of heroism that your notoriety brings?
- Forged in the Dark: Built on the framework made by John Harper for Blades in the Dark, with significant changes to better represent monstery gameplay.
- Build a Dungeon: Rules for building and drawing out a dungeon together, including traps, tricks, creatures, locks, minions, and things you discover underground.
- Cycle of Play: Four phases of play (lurking, calamity, raiding, and blowback) that set the pace of dungeon life.
- Dark Hearts, Dark Impulses, and Going Feral: Game mechanics that reinforce that you’re a monster.
- Flexible Spell System: Players choose a specific path of magic or god they worship, then flexibly create spells of different power levels on the fly.
- Powerful Ritual Magic: This extends magic further, allowing the creation of very powerful magical effects, though you must fulfill some special requirements and fight off those who might seek to stop your rituals.
- Monster Science: A robust crafting system to create whatever contraptions and alchemical concoctions you can imagine.
- Safety Tools: A write-up on recommended safety tools (X-Card, Movie Ratings, Lines & Veils) to help your group with sensitive subject matters.
- Nine Monster Playbooks: Play as several different types of monsters, each of which have a lot of room for making unique characters. Play as a Brute, Conniver, Crafter, Hunter, Marauder, Shadow, Shaman, Warlock, or Zealot.
- Five Dungeon Themes: Each theme has a unique core function and list of rooms that can only be built within that dungeon, allowing your dungeon to match your group’s preferred playstyle. Build an Enclave, Forge, Hideout, Stronghold, or Temple.
- Four Regional Sandbox Maps: Each sandbox is a region to build your dungeon within, giving you a list of factions to target with raids or you can fill it with factions of your own! Play within the City Sewers, Colonial Seas, Quiet Valley, or Warzone.
- Primal Ability: Choose any monstrous race and represent them by building their own unique abilities.
- Primal Monsters: Play as four powerful monster types with their own unique mechanics. Play as a Braineater, Doomseeker, Facestealer, or Goldmonger.
- Easy Start: A clear session 0 / session 1 starting scenario to get your dungeon up and running while teaching all players the game mechanics.
- Four primal monsters: Iconic monsters that don't follow the typical callings, instead having unique abilities and mechanics that better capture them. Each primal monster has mechanics vastly differing from the normal callings. We really stretched what the system can do to make them fun, interactive, and feel like each monster!
- Braineaters (tentacled horrors) master powerful psionic disciplines giving a new type of magic to interact with, but have voracious appetites. There are four psionic disciplines and players must choose where to focus their efforts, so while all Braineaters can use psionic powers, the way in which they use them differs greatly!
- Doomseekers (multi-eyed abberations) with eyestalk magic and mechanics for modelling their paranoid, overplanning nature. This is a totally unique playstyle where the PC is encouraged not to leave the dungeon, but can still affect raids on the surface from afar through their meticulous planning, all supported by the mechanics.
- Facestealers (dopplegangers) can assume the appearance of their victims, but fight a constant struggle in keeping ahold of their own identity. For monsters, the civilized world of humans and dwarves is often off-limits - Facestealers can easily slip among them, creating an entirely new experience.
- Goldmongers (dragons) begin as tiny whelps and grow into huge terrors, gaining power and size as the hoard itself grows. The Goldmonger's growth paths allow for a ton of flexibility in creating very different types of dragons. It's seriously almost an entirely new game mode.
- Wandering Ones (dungeonless mode): Leave the dungeon behind and roam the land spreading evil wherever you please with an all new downtime cycle completely removing all dungeon mechanics and adding a new Pact group sheet.
- Valiant Ones (heroic mode): Heroic adventuring using the Wicked Ones rules! The callings have been remixed into fantasy archetypes: Artificer, Bard, Cleric, Druid, Monk, Ranger, Rogue, Sorceror, and Warrior. Combined with Wandering Ones, you can now go on more traditional fantasy adventures!
- Big Bad Wicked One (solo or duo mode): Control a more powerful solo PC and three minion packs in this mode fine-tuned for play with only one player (or with a GM). Many random spark tables and generators help create an emergent story for you to play through!
- Digital Assets: All of the art from this book collected and formated for use online, such as adventurer, imp, and monster tokens, clocks, and high-resolution sandbox maps.
ART & LAYOUT
The visual style of Wicked Ones was a labor of passion that matches the effort put into crafting and playtesting the game mechanics. It’s a 360-page, full-color book designed by Ben Nielson and illustrated by artist Victor Costa. This two-person team created a consistent style and quality throughout the book that captures just the right flavor of “evil.”
The book itself contains more than 50 full-page illustrations which serve to highlight the type of gameplay that work best with the mechanics and tone of the game. Aside from the full-page illustrations, the book is packed full of character concept art to give give players ideas and more than 30 tiny, humorous imps ready to give you advice about the game.
In order to download this game you must purchase it at or above the minimum price of $0.01 USD. You will get access to the following files:
Support this game at or above a special price point to receive something exclusive.
Full Game, 100% Free Download
Download the full version of this game. It is 325 pages long and comes filled with incredible full-color artwork. If you like the game, consider grabbing the deluxe edition with 10% more bonus content or just have fun playing this one!